Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Brunch-ing Manila: Mamou




Brunch is one of my favorite indulgences. First of all, it’s not an activity I can do every day: I do have a day job, you know. On most days, breakfast consists of a soggy bowl of oatmeal and some eggs, or maybe cereal, and then I’m blitzing out the door. Second, I do not have the metabolism (or the talent of regurgitating my meals) of a Brazilian supermodel that I can treat myself to regular helpings of bacon, French toast, eggs Benny, and all the other delectables you’ll find in a brunch menu. Finally, on weekends when I can actually have brunch, I sometimes find myself hungover and tired that the best meal I could think of is my trusty fixer-upper of instant noodle soup and ice-cold Coke Zero.


When I do get the chance, though, brunch could be pure bliss. In Manila- where tapsilog (beef tapa, garlic fried rice and fried egg) continues its reign as the ultimate all-day breakfast meal (and for good reason)- brunch is quickly becoming a favorite weekend past time. Several restaurants have decided to jump on its popularity and are opening their doors a couple of hours earlier to serve their versions of several breakfast favorites.


Mamou has been serving brunch for a couple of years now and are still packing them in. On Saturdays and Sundays, they open at 10 AM to offer a few brunch menu items along with their regular menu.


Matt and I have decided to stay in one Saturday, and so we both had the energy to rise from bed at 9AM the next day. I called before 10 to see if we could be squeezed in for their second seating, and Annie- Mamou’s charming sister- said that she can easily get us a table for two. Great! Yaya Del also decided to take the day off, so it was perfect timing for a little weekend pampering.

When Matt and I arrived, we were quickly led to our table, which- curiously- had both of our names on it. Matt thought it was cute and told me later on that I should have taken a picture of it, since normally they just put the name of the person who called to reserve.



As we checked out the menu, I was tempted to try the new dishes in their regular line-up of Mamou’s specialties. We have not been back for quite a while, so I found myself being lured towards the Bottarga pasta. But, I quickly reminded myself that we were there for brunch, and so I returned my attention towards the brunch menu.




While waiting for our dishes, I sipped on a Mamou’sBellini- a refreshing mix of sparkling wine and either orange or grapefruit juice.



First to arrive was Matt’s order of Pappy’s Toast- smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, capers and cream cheese on top of toasted wholewheat sourdough. We were pleasantly surprised by the mountain of smoked salmon which, for the price, is really a good deal. Matt loves his smoked salmon, and oftentimes he is disappointed when he is presented with a flimsy portioning of the stuff. Luckily, Mamou delivered.




I willed myself not to order the Eggs Benedict, and got myself the Rau’s Platter- Two slices of French toast, two tiny “pancakes”, and some Neurmberger sausages. If I must nitpick, I have to admit that the description of this dish on the menu was a bit difficult to understand. Despite a long consultation with the waiter, I was still pretty confused about what I was getting. In the end, I just said, “Er, Ok, I’ll have the sausages with it”, just to move things along. Good thing I was happy with what came out. I loved how whole eggs were integrated into the toast, and how the bread was soft and fluffy, melting in my mouth after being doused in syrup. The sausages were delicious- juicy, garlicky, peppery. Everything good sausages should be.




When we were done with our plates, we were quickly tempted by the server with dessert. Matt and I decided to share their Pecan Pie with Schlagzhane (sweetened whipped cream), something we have had a few times before. Warm, sweet, gooey- it was the perfect ending to a really good Sunday brunch.





Mamou
Serendra Piazza
Bonifacio Global City
Taguig City
Tel. no. (632)8563569

3 comments:

MrsLavendula said...

wow i love brunch and those dishes look delicious!

Socky said...

Mamou is also one of the few restaurants in these parts with a respectable vegetarian menu. Always a stop for Poch when she visits.

Unknown said...

MrsLavendula- Yes, they're as good as they look:-)

Socky- Oh cool! At least she's also happy while you devour one of Mamou's rib-eyes:-)